Master Gardener Tina Saravia will discuss the garden benefits and challenges of keeping chickens. At the end of the talk you will get an opportunity to tour the Mangia food forest garden and see the wise water features and creative use of re-purposed items in the garden. After the tour you are invited to bring a dish to share at a lunch potluck. Topics that will be covered include:
- How to safely use chicken manure for fertilizer
- How a molting chicken’s old feathers can benefit the garden
- How a laying hen can feed us and the garden
- How a chicken’s never-ending scratching can help with weeds and pests
- How they help make compost
- The importance of good sanitation to avoid salmonella contamination
- The challenges! the noise of a crowing chicken, smelly chicken coop, damaged plants, increased pest presence and other issues that may come up. We will offer solutions and resources to these challenges. The anecdotes may be personal, but the information will be research-based.