3 T. olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 medium carrots, finely chopped
1 large celery rib, finely chopped
1 ¼ cups French green lentils
4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
2 cups water
1 t. salt (or more, to taste)
Heat 2 T. oil in a heavy pot over medium-high heat. Saute onion, carrots and celery, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add lentils, stock, water, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes. (The soup is finished when lentils are tender but not falling apart.) Season with salt and pepper, and serve!
• Bacon/sausage/chorizo – saute it first until cooked through, then remove from pan. Add onion, carrots & celery, and proceed with recipe. Add meat back in at the end.
• Garlic – lots of it!
• Chopped fennel (add it with the onion/carrot/celery)
• Chopped kale (add it with the lentils and liquid)
• Fresh thyme (add it at the end)
• Lentils also coordinate well with winter squash and sweet potatoes