Elements of a Food Forest Garden
How to Create a Waterwise, Edible Landscape
Swale & Berm
Derek met with Sustainable Solano’s Food Forest Keepers and other interested attendees to talk about food forests and answer questions.
Resources from Derek Downey’s Q&A
Here are some online resources that will help Food Forest Keepers:
- Fungi Perfecti, Paul Stamets
- (Home Depot carries these on their shelves) https://backtotheroots.com/collections/mushroom-grow-kits
Global Inventory of Perennial Plants PDFHere is a link to website version and more from the creator of this resource: http://www.perennialsolutions.org/a-global-inventory-of-perennial-vegetables
Here is an Online Nursery of perennial vegetables, based in Humboldt County: https://www.rollingrivernursery.com/component/virtuemart/perennial-vegetables-and-herbs/perennial-vegetables
Soldier Fly Bin/Bio Pod
My Soldier Fly Bin has grubs already since the Q&A! It is a warm-season composting alternative (quickly turn any food waste in to chicken / fish feed). It will not yield much compost (only 5% of feedstock material will remain as castings) as most of the biomass is converted into grub biomass.
- Here is the commercially available bin that I have used for a long time and enjoy … though it is quite pricey now at $179) https://www.theaquaponicsource.com/shop/worms-and-composting/black-soldier-fly-bio-pods/biopod-plus-black-soldier-fly-larvae-bin/
- I have seen larger systems more applicable for farm setting here (or food processing method for large food waste producer) http://www.protapodusa.com/
- You can also build your own system using wood/plastic tubs … here is a cool DIY bin for serious production (just search around the internet for other options) https://gardenpool.org/beneficial-insects/black-soldier-fly-composter-automatic-chicken-feeder