- This event has passed.
(Vallejo) Native Plant & Pollinator Garden Installation: Day 1 of 2
February 11 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
Learn to convert a lawn into a water-wise, native plant & pollinator garden!
Join us on February 11 & 18 to learn about sustainable landscape design and help install a native plant & pollinator, drought tolerant garden based on permaculture principles on Mare Island in Vallejo! This installation will be in partnership with the Vallejo People’s Garden and Global Center for Success.
This public, hands-on installation workshop series will create an environmentally resilient garden in Vallejo providing an opportunity to learn about rainwater capture, and how to plant and mulch for a water-wise, sustainable garden that builds healthy soil and provides habitat for native pollinators.
This garden will be an example of an alternative to lawn that is beautiful, requires less water and creates a habitat for monarchs & other pollinators. Monarch Milkweed Project & Solano Resource Conservation District will be providing native plant & pollinator resources.
Join us to be part of the story of this garden!
Day 1: Saturday, Feb. 11-Earthworks
- Learn how to create swales, which are trenches that capture rainwater in the ground, divert roofwater to swales, and sheet mulch to protect and build healthy soil
- Volunteer tasks: digging a swale, moving and spreading wood chips.
Day 2: Saturday, Feb. 18-Planting & Irrigation
- The focus of this day will be learning about the native & pollinator plants selected and their functions in the garden.
- Volunteer tasks: planting the garden and installing irrigation
* wear closed-toe shoes, sun protection, bring gloves and refillable water bottle
* Potluck lunch will be provided. If you are able to, bring something to share.
*Bring your own lunch if you have special dietary needs