Water nourishes our landscapes, keeps us hydrated and powers our wind turbines but have you ever wondered where our local water comes from when you turn on your faucet? Our state’s water storage and delivery systems are actually quite complex. Its system of reservoirs, aqueducts, and pumping plants are a result of the California State Water Project (SWP) and allow us to enjoy clean water every day. One of Solano County’s key water suppliers is the Solano County Agency (SCWA), a wholesale water supply agency providing untreated water to cities and agricultural districts in our county. Roughly 83% of Solano County’s water comes from Lake Berryessa with the remaining 17% being diverted from the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta. Our North Bay Aqueduct pipeline delivers water from Barker Slough in the Delta to Solano agencies, like the SCWA for water supply.

As we reach for the hose and cranked our faucets as things heat up this summer, let us consider the tremendous human efforts and engineering behind the systems that bring us access to these precious drops and continue to embrace wise water use as a daily habit. When you conserve water, you conserve life.

For more information about where your water comes from, visit:

Solano County Water Agency
Water Education Foundation